martes, 23 de febrero de 2010

Kefir Lassi


What better thing to do on a rainy day off, than play with food?

Today, whilst listening to the tinkle of the rain outside I have been playing kefir games. Kefir lassi games, to be precise.


Lassi is a frothy yoghurt-based drink that originates from Punjab in Northern India, where they make it either sweetened with juicy ripe mangoes, or salted and spiced with cumin. It's especially good drunk alongside the spicy cuisine typical of the region, that I used to regularly gobble down with joy; we're talking charred lamb chops, smoky dark aubergines, and potatoes cuddled by deep green spinach.

It's been some time since I've had a good glass of lassi. So today, with a glut of kefir that needs using for something, I decided to combine the two. Some fresh milk, kefir, a little bit of watery coconut milk, several generous pinches of salt and some ground toasted cumin and a fleck of pepper later, I was wandering down something akin to memory lane.



You could mix this with a spoon, but you won't get any of the fun of the froth, which for me is the best bit. I whirled it around a while with a blender and a few chunks of ice, urging the rain to stop and that bright sun to come bring us some springtime already.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario